Sunday, December 2, 2012

Made of Stardust

stargazing-skySTAR-gazing, such a privilege to ascend into the past of hundreds of million of years ago as projected into our eyes by long lived photon energy.

stargazer |ˈstärˌgāzər|noun informal an astronomer or astrologer.• a daydreamer.

I feel it is far too seldom we find ourselves looking up into the nakedness of the sky above us. I feel we do ourselves a great disservice ignoring our origins.

Late Carl Sagan used to say "We are all made of stardust", billion year old carbon. I can't explain the peace I feel each stargaze I embrace. But I look around and see so many of us busy with lives and the living, and forgetting of the past we used to admire. Up there hangs our dreams, our pasts, and ultimately our future. Stargazing is to some a place of retreat, but always one of comeback.

From the beginning of time, we have always looked up in to the sky to seek comfort or closure from the unknown. In the end, looking up should produce a feeling of both awe and unmatched realization of our puny little existence, the devout symbol of humanity in the face of infinite infinitesimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment